Meatballs are my most requested recipe. Everyone just loves them. This is my grandmother’s recipe with some added touches. They are so good with spaghetti, on a hard Italian roll with provolone or just eat meatballs! Don’t forget the grated parmesan cheese.
Meatball Prep: Large Prep Bowl
1-1/2 lbs. ground chuck
1-1/2 chopped onion (save 1/2 onion)
2 eggs room temperature
1/2 cup granted parmesan cheese
3/4 cup Italian style bread crumbs
2 slices stale Italian bread cubed (let sit out for bread to harden)
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Non-stick fry pan
Use your favorite sauce. We will do a Sunday Gravy recipe soon.
- Add all of the meatball ingredients to your prep bowl and using God’s best mixing tool, your hands, mix together.
- Have a large pot of sauce simmering on the stove.
- Form the meatballs into balls any size you like.
- In a large non-stick fry pan add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat.
- Add meatballs to a hot pan and brown them 2 or 3 minutes on each side until rare. Add to sauce. They will finish cooking in the sauce. I use a large tablespoon for this. Fry your meatballs in batches.
- Use grease from meatballs and fry 1/2 cup of onions. Saute’ and add to sauce.
- Let meatballs simmer in sauce for at lease 1 hour. Stir during this process. Add water if sauce is too thick.
- Here is my secret. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar to the sauce. Grandmom said it cuts the acid.
- Taste sauce to be sure you have enough salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a salad and Italian bread.
The Italian Farmer is inviting you for lunch Let’s eat! Enjoy!